Photo from Unsplash
Originally Posted On: https://www.goodcook.com/recipes/cozy-low-carb-cast-iron-zoodle-lasagna
Cast Iron Zoodle Lasagna is a low-carb way to enjoy all the flavors of homemade lasagna without the guilt. Italian sausage, loads of veggies and zucchini ribbons are sautéed in a cast-iron skillet and finished in the oven with bubbly, melty cheese. If you’re looking for a fast, flavorful, and healthy meal, put this Cast Iron Zoodle Lasagna on the menu tonight! Watch the recipe video here.
This lightened-up lasagna is a healthy everyday dinner that’s loaded with protein and veggies, minus the heavy carbs and gluten. With zucchini ribbons replacing lasagna noodles, it’s the perfect way to reduce carbs. And the GoodCook 2 Blade Spiralizer is the fastest way to get a pile of zucchini ribbons in minutes. With a few twists, this handheld unit turns your favorite veggies into ribbons or spaghetti-like noodles. It features a non-slip grip, compact size that’s perfect for individual portions and a food holder to keep hands safe.
Low Carb Comfort
The recipe starts with a stovetop sauté of onions and garlic in a GoodCook 12” Cast Iron Skillet. The GoodCook 12” Cast Iron Skillet comes pre-seasoned and ready for use, and it’s oven safe to 500°F. Sausage and Italian seasoning get tossed in the skillet followed by mushrooms, corn, spinach, tomatoes and zucchini ribbons. After dolloping ricotta and layering mozzarella slices, the skillet goes in the oven to get browned and bubbly.
Serve this low-carb lasagna straight from the skillet along with a green salad and rustic French Bread. Or, to keep the carb count low, skip the bread and enjoy with a fried or poached egg on top. We can’t think of a tastier way to do dinner!
Get the tools
With the GoodCook line of kitchen cookware and accessories, healthy weeknight dinners are minutes away. Get started with the new GoodCook 2 Blade Spiralizer, featuring a heavy-duty design and 2 interchangable blades. It’s the quickest way to turn fresh garden zucchini into meal-ready zucchini ribbons. And if you love skillet dinners, the GoodCook 12” Cast Iron Skillet is pre-seasoned and goes effortlessly from stovetop to oven. Are you ready for a family-friendly, healthy and comforting skillet dinner?
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: Medium
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Type: Dinner
- Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste (or 4 cloves finely chopped garlic)
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 lb Italian sausage or ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned corn
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 32 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained well
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized into ribbons
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 16 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook 3-4 minutes, until onions become translucent. Add sausage and Italian seasoning to pan, cook and crumble until browned.
- Add mushrooms, corn, spinach, tomatoes. Mix well with a spatula. Add spiralized ribbons, mix in gently.
- Place dollops of ricotta around the pan. Top with mozzarella sliced.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese begins to turn a light brown around edges.
- Top with fresh basil leaves, and enjoy!