- China has demonstrated their intension to weaponize access to critical metals, with restrictions on germanium and gallium scheduled for August, and rare earth metals used in permanent magnets could be next
- China accounts for 90% of the gallium and 80% of the germanium supply exports used in the United States and other European countries
- Gallium and germanium are two materials important for the production of semiconductor chips, and China’s control of the market makes it exceedingly difficult for secure production without a North American supply
- Ucore’s RapidSX(TM) technology utilizes similar chemistry to conventional SX and significantly improves the well-established, well-understood, proven conventional SX separation technology preferred by REE producers
- Ucore’s developing North American REE supply chain includes plants in Louisiana, Alaska, and Canada
Gallium and germanium are two materials important for producing semiconductor chips and key ingredients for power electronics chips, Radio Frequency chips, wireless communication, and high-speed signaling – used in applications like electric vehicles, data centers, 5G, radar, GPS, and wireless communications. China accounts for 90% of the gallium and 80% of the germanium supply exports used in the United States and other European countries. The growing tensions between China and countries worldwide have created a growing number of restrictive trade actions from both sides. Most recently, according to a Business Today article, China’s export curbs on gallium and germanium, two important elements for the production of semiconductors, threatens to disrupt the chip supply chain and increase the price of semiconductors and associated products (https://ibn.fm/y2bL4).
The United States is believed to hold the world’s largest germanium mines, but it does not extract the raw material, an expensive process for obtaining the required purity. Ucore Rare Metals (TSX.V: UCU) (OTCQX: UURAF), a critical metals separation technology company executing an ESG-centered plan toward…
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to UURAF are available in the company’s newsroom at https://ibn.fm/UURAF
MiningNewsWire (MNW) is a specialized communications platform focused on developments and opportunities in the global resources sector. The company provides (1) access to a network of wire services via NetworkWire to reach all target markets, industries and demographics in the most effective manner possible, (2) article and editorial syndication to 5,000+ news outlets (3), enhanced press release services to ensure maximum impact, (4) social media distribution via the Investor Brand Network (IBN) to millions of social media followers, and (5) a full array of corporate communications solutions. As a multifaceted organization with an extensive team of contributing journalists and writers, MNW is uniquely positioned to best serve private and public companies that desire to reach a wide audience of investors, consumers, journalists and the general public. By cutting through the overload of information in today’s market, MNW brings its clients unparalleled visibility, recognition and brand awareness. MNW is where news, content and information converge.
To receive SMS text alerts from MiningNewsWire, text “BigHole” to 844-397-5787 (U.S. Mobile Phones Only)
For more information, please visit https://www.miningnewswire.com
MiningNewsWire is part of the InvestorBrandNetwork.